Hullo, former fans (or former strangers) of my former blog, also called A-Sides, B-Sides and Seasides.
The last round of this blog was a place to share out music the way that I listened to it. Since I would collect bands to the most intricate of releases, this often meant that when I would bring my music into this wonderful digital world that I would find myself compiling any given band's b-sides into compilations that would read more like full length albums. After about 90 such compilations of nearly complete b-side compilations from bands like Top, Flowered Up, Kitchens of Distinction, Curve, James, The New Fast Automatic Daffodils, Soup Dragons, Trashcan Sinatras, Adorable, The Wendys, The Happy Mondays, and, well, about 80 others... I finally called it a day with a final purge of incomplete collections I had been working on. It was cathartic and great fun. I had a lot of great readers and contributors along the way. An all around great experience.
What does this have to do with this new incarnation?... Simple. I'd like to continue sharing music in the way that I listen to it. I wanted to do something truly unique this time around instead of just going back to my old default of b-side compilations. So, here's what you will be getting...
Lately, as I work on my own music (shameless plug: a horde of rand) I have been going through some crash courses in music production, especially in finalising mixes and training my ear for mastering. It made me re-evaluate a lot of my own album collections. Given the examples from a few paragraphs up, one could understand that a lot of my old favourites have not been given the remastering treatments some of them so desperately need. This isn't to say that the mixes are bad. They could just do with an update. Some level tweaking, a little compression here and there... They just need some remastering.
As I started using some of these older recordings to practice my mastering skills, I knew it was time to re-open A-Sides, B-Sides and Seasides. I finally have something to share, again.
Considering the fact that I don't have the original reels or masters for any of the releases, none of these are mastered from the source. There are limitations to what I could achieve. I also don't have much interest in the ongoing loudness war where producers keep trying to push the limits of noise within the constraints of digital dynamic range. I only mean to clean up some things that I hear that bring me the kind of listening experience I'd like to get out of the albums I've gotten used to hearing. It has been a new type of catharsis, as I've managed to pick up on sounds I hadn't heard in songs I've heard a million times, bringing my love back for them.
So, here we are... ABCSides is back, and upping its game. I do hope you enjoy these mock remasters. Often, I will try and include b-sides that I have high quality recordings of (FLAC or WAV when possible), I have tried to clean up some vinyl tracks and mp3, but the original recordings often have flaws that I would need the master recordings for to properly fix. If you, the reader, see any notable tracks missing; feel free to send them my way and I'll try to update former posts with appended material. Also, feel free to let me know if there are dynamic mistakes that you pick up on, as this is a learning tool for me.
As the files that I'm working on often break the 1gb mark, I am unable to provide the 32 bit WAV or 24 bit FLAC over the interwebnets (I've even got a few albums that I've mastered in 5.1 that break around 4gb). My apologies that I'm unable to currently provide these far superior files. Perhaps, at a later juncture. HOWEVER! I WILL be providing very high quality mp3 variable bit rate files which will still provide a grand time with good headphones from your mobile device.
THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES!!! Most say it, but I can surely claim it. I'm hoping that people who are already familiar with these albums can give me feedback so I can truly hone this craft. I welcome criticism (though, not abuse). I do not own these recordings, and will gladly remove any posts at the artist's request.
Always remember, these are not professional masters. I am using these albums to practice a craft. DO NOT expect perfection. DO expect some joy.
If you were a fan of my former blog; I'm glad to have you back. If you are new; I do hope you'll stay awhile.
Hello Rand & Welcome Back
ReplyDeleteHello Rand & Welcome Back
ReplyDeleteFantastic! Looking forward already.
ReplyDeleteYes!!!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant stuff - great to have you back! :-)
ReplyDeleteThis made my day! Glad to see you back and Happy Easter from Canada...
ReplyDelete